In this post, we have Shared 100 Solved MCQs based on Indian National Movement for WBCS Preliminary Examination. You may also find it helpful for other competitive examination.
*The Options which looks Green is correct Answer.
1. In which region freedom movement of India started at earliest?
(a) Punjab (b) Maharasthra (c) Bengal (d) Gujrat
2. Which one helped towards the launch of First War of Indian independence in 1857?
(a) Zamindary system (b) Subsidiary alliance (c) Doctrine of lapse (d) None of these
3. 'Poverty and Un-British Rule in India' was authored by:
(a) R. C. Dutta (b) G. V. Joshi (c) Ram Mohan Roy (d) None of these
4. The Pioneer of 'Drain Theory' who authored Economic Hisstory of India, was :
(a) R. C. Dutta (b) G. V. Joshi (c) Ram Mohan Roy (d) None of these
5. During the British rule the foreign trade of India remained:
(a) Balanced (b) Favourable (c) Unfavourable (d) None of these
6. During British rule India used to have more export in relation to import to have trade surplus to be invested in:
(a) India (b) England (c) Wars (d) None of these
7. During the period of British rule in India the cottage industries of India began to face closure for:
(a) Shortage of demand in India (b) import of cheap machine-made Items
(c) forcible closure of industries by British rulers (d) None of these
8. The zamindars of India were found generally:
(a) helpful towards freedom movement (b) against freedom movement
(c) indifferent towards freedom movement (d) None of these
9. Sir Hyde East, who was a pioneer of expansion of education in India, was:
(a) Chancellor of Calcutta University
(b) Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
(c) Education Secretary of British India
(d) None of these
10. Which one has not been correctly matched regarding the year of the establishment?
(a) Sanskrit College : 1823 (b) Roorkee Engineering College : 1849
(c) Presidency college : 1853 (d) Calcutta University : 1865
11. Which had the highest effect on freedom movement in India?
(a) Economic exploitation (b) Political oppression
(c) transportation development (d) expansion of education
12. Who used to publish 'Sambad Kaumudi'?
(a) Ram Mohan Roy (b) Iswar Chandra Vidya Sagar (c) Dwaraka Nath Tagore (d) None of these
13. Raja Ram Mohan Roy wrote a book on 'Monotheism' in:
(a) English (b) Bengali (c) Persian (d) Sanskrit
14. Which one is not true about the life of Raja Rammohan Roy?
(a) He served under British rulers
(b) He established Vedanta College
(c) He was against the philosophy Vedas
(d) He died at Bristol of England
15. Which one of the following associations were not set up in Calcutta/Kolkata?
(a) Zamindary Association (b) British India Association
(c) Indian Association (d) Indian National Congress
16. During the period of the 'Sepoy Mutiny' around what percentage of the members of Armed forces under the British rulers of India were of European origin?
(a) 20 (b) 30 (c) 40 (d) 50
17. In a day of which month in 1857 AD Mangal Pande revolted at Barrackpore?
(a) February (b) March (c) June (d) None
18. During the period of Sepoy Mutiny, Nana Sahib declared himself as the Peshwa of:
(a) Nagpur (b) Gwalior (c) Kanpur (d) None
19. Who described Lakshmi Bai of Jhansi as the 'best and bravest' of the rebels?
(a) Sir Henry Lawrence (b) Sir Hugh Rose (c) R. C. Majumder (d) None of these
20. Sepoy Mutiny activist who was caught and executed was :
(a) Nana Saheb (b) Kunwar Singh (c) TantiaTopi (d) Lakshmi Bai
21. Who authored 'War of Indian Independence of 1857'?
(a) V. D. Savarkar (b) Dababhai Nauroji (c) Subhas Chandra Bose (d) None of these
22. Permanent Settlement adversely affected the interest of the:
(a) Zamindars (b) businessmen (c) tenants (d) None of these
23. The Sir William Hunter Commission to inquire about the educational system was set up in 1882 by:
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Lytton (c) Lord Mayo (d) None of these
24. The Prarthana Samaj was established by Keshab Chandra Sen in 1867 in:
(a) Calcutta (b) Allahabad (c) Bombay (d) None of these
25. The 'Suddhi' programme was introduced b:
(a) Swami Sraddhananda (b) Dayanand Saraswati (c) Lala Lajpat Rai (d) None of these
26. Indians had a higher sense of nationalism from:
(a) American freedom Movement (b) French Revolution
(c) Russian Revolution (d) all of these
27. Which one has not been correctly matched?
(a) Dayanand Saraswati : Satartha Prakash
(b) Surendranath Banerjee : A National in Making
(c) Deena Bandhu Mitra : Neel Darpan
(d) Michael Madhusudhan Dutta : Sitaram
28. The first Bengali weekly 'Samachar Darpan' was started in 1818 from:
(a) Calcutta (b) Srerampore (c) Howrah (d) None of these
29. Margaret Nobel, popularly known as Sister Nivedita, was of:
(a) English origin (b) Irish origin (c) French origin (d) American origin
30. Which one has not been correctly matched?
(a) Atmiya Sabha : Rammohan Roy
(b) Satya Shondhak Samaj : Jyotirao Govindrao Phule
(c) Samaj Samata Sangh : B. R. Ambedkar
(d) Tatvabodhini Sabha : Dwaraka Nath Tagore
31. The book 'Tahfat-ul-Muwahhidin' or 'A Gift to Monotheists' was authored by :
(a) Raja Rammohah Roy (b) Abul Kalam Azad (c) M.G.Ranade (d) None of these
32. Satyashodhak Samaj was set up for the upliftment of the conditions of:
(a) Peasants (b) workers (c) Lower caste people (d) None of these
33. A Congress Committee led by Motilal Nehru demand 'Dominion' Status for India in 1928 during the reign of:
(a) Lord Chelmsford (b) Lord Irwin (c) Lord Linlithgow (d) None of these
34. Which colony of Britain was not enjoying Dominion status when Congress leaders of India was willing to have this Status?
(a) Canada (b) Australia (c) New Zealand (d) Nigeria
35. Indian leader who attended all the three Round Table Conferences held in London was:
(a) M. K. Gandhi (b) B. R. Ambedkar (c) Sarojini Naidu (d) None of these
36. Which one has not been correctly matched?
(a) Champaran Satyagraha :1917
(b) Kaira or Kheda Satyagraha : 1918
(c) Moplah Rebellion : 1921
(d) Bardoloi Satyagraha : 1929
37. Which one was not an aspect of Gandhi-Irwin Pact of 1931?
(a) Withdrawal of Civil Disobedience Movement launched by Gandhiji in 1930
(b) Participation of the Congress Party in the Second Round Table Conference
(c) The release of all Satyagrahi prisoners by the British rulers
(d) The decision to accord 'Dominion' status for India
38. Gandhi-Irwin Pact was signed in March, 1931 and Gandhiji attended the Second Round Table Conference in London in 1931 starting in:
(a) September (b) October (c) November (d) December
39. Gandhiji was arrested and sent to Yedarva prison of Poona in 1932 during the reign of:
(a) Lord Irwin (b) Lord Willingdon (c) Lord Linlithgow (d) None of these
40. In August, 1928 an all-party Conference was arranged in :
(a) Lahore (b) Allahabad (c) Lucknow (d) Bombay
41. British Prime Minister Mr Ramsay Macdonald announced Communal Award in:
(a) 1931 (b) 1932 (c) 1933 (d) None of these
42. On the basis of Government of Indian Act of 1935, Congress Ministries were formed in the majority of Indian provinces in:
(a) 1936 (b) 1937 (c) 1938 (d) None of these
43. Poona Pact was signed in 1932 mainly between Gandhiji and:
(a) Mohammed Ali Jinnah (b) Lord Willingdon (c) B. R. Ambedkar (d) None of these
44. In 1938 Subhas Chandra Bose was chosen as the President of All India Congress in Congress session held at:
(a) Lucknow (b) Haripura (c) Tripura (d) None of these
45. Pattabhi Sitaramayya was defeated by Subhas Chandra Bose for the post of the Congress President in Conference held in:
(a) Tripuri (b) Calcutta (c) Haripura (d) None of these
46. Lord Wavell arranged an all-party conference in 1945 at:
(a) Poona (b) Lucknow (c) Shimla (d) None of these
47. The Congress adopted 'Quit India Movement' resolution after the arrival:
(a) Simon Commission (b) Cripps Mission (c) Cabinet Mission (d) None of these
48. In which year the Provincial Congress Ministries resigned and the Muslim League observed 'Deliverance Day'?
(a) 1939 (b) 1940 (c) 1941 (d) None of these
49. Who was not associated as a member of the Cabinet Mission?
(a) Sir Stafford Cripps (b) A. V. Alexander (c) Lord Pethick Lawrence (d) Lord Chelmsford
50. When the Cabinet Mission came to India from London then Chief of the British rulers of India was:
(a) Lord Wavell (b) Lord Linlithgow (c) Lord Mountbatten (d) None of these
51. Rajaji Formula put forward by C. Rajagopalachari was in:
(a) 1943 (b) 1944 (c) 1945 (d) None of these
52. Which one has not been correctly matched?
(a) Debendranath Tagore set up Tatvabodhini Sabha
(b) The pioneer of young Bengal Movement was Henry Vivian Derozio
(c) Adi Brahmo Samaj was organised by Keshab Chandra Sen
(d) The pioneer of the Aligarh Movement was Sir Syed Ahmed
53. In which year the Deccan Peasant uprising happened mainly in Maharashtra?
(a) 1875 (b) 1895 (c) 1915 (d) None of these
54. Who was the President of first All India Kishan Sabha at Lucknow in 1936?
(a) N. G. Ranga (b) Gauri Shankar Mishra (c) Swami Sahajanand (d) None of these
55. The first newspaper of India 'The Bengal Gazette' by James Augusts Hickey had a first publication in:
(a) 1780 (b) 1795 (c) 1815 (d) None of these
56. Who started publication of 'Mirat-ul-Akbar'?
(a) Raja Rammohan Roy (b) Sir Syed Ahmed (c) Mazhar-ul-Huq (d) None of these
57. The Bardoli Satyagraha held in 1928 against the increase of land tax rate by:
(a) 15% (b) 22% (c) 26% (d) 30%
58. Which one has not been correctly matched?
(a) Kesari : B. G. Tilak (b) Voice of India : Dadabhai Nouroji
(c) Bengalee : S. N. Banerjee (d) Indian Mirror : G. K. Gokhale
59. Who, among the following served in the post of the Congress President?
(a) Allen Octavian Hume (b) Bal Gangadhar Tilak (c) Ramesh Chandra Dutta (d) None of these
60. Shimla Conference organised by Lord Minto was arranged in:
(a) 1906 (b) 1907 (c) 1908 (d) None of these
61. Though the Muslim League was organised in Dhaka 1906 but the activities of this organisation were mainly in the areas of:
(a) Maharashtra (b) Delhi (c) Calcutta (d) Uttar Pradesh
62. Which one is not true about Ms Annie Beasant?
(a) She organised the Theosophical Society
(b) She organised 'Home Rule League' in Madras
(c) She was elected first women Congress President in 1917 AD
(d) She was associated with the Non-Cooperation Movement
63. The Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) was organised by:
(a) Mahatma Gandhi (b) Sardar Vallabhai Patel (c) Motilal Nehru (d) None of these
64. Who led the formation of the Radical Democratic Party?
(a) M. N. Roy (b) Lala Lajpat Rai (c) N. M. Joshi (d) None of these
65. Which one of the following district was mainly associated with 'Chuar' rebellion?
(a) Burdwan (b) Murshidabad (c) Midnapore (d) None of these
66. Sidhu and Kanhu were associated with:
(a) Ho rebellion (b) Santal rebellion (c) Sanyasi rebellion (d) None of these
67. Farazi rebellion led by Haji Shariatullah happened mainly in the district of:
(a) Dhaka (b) Chittagong (c) Maldaha (d) Faridpur
68. Begam Hazrat Mahal was an important leader of Sepoy Mutiny in:
(a) Lucknow (b) Kanpur (c) Bareilly (d) None of these
69. Who stated, "Political freedom is the breath of a nation"?
(a) B. G. Tilak (b) Aurobindo Ghosh (c) Swami Vivekananda (d) None of these
70. Which one was not organised by V. D. Savarkar?
(a) Mitra Mela (b) Abhinav Bharat (c) Yugantar (d) None of these
71. The 'Ghadar Party' was organised in the USA but its activities led by Lala Hardyal used to be operated from:
(a) Tokyo (b) Singapore (c) Berlin (d) Paris
72. In which session of the Congress Party held in Surat the Congress became divided into two groups?
(a) 21st (b) 22nd (c) 23rd (d) 24th
73. Bal Gangadhar Tilak organised 'Home Rule League' at:
(a) Mumbai (b) Poona (c) Delhi (d) None of these
74. Which is not true about Lucknow Session of Congress in 1916:
(a) Moderates and Extremist resolved their differences in this session
(b) The Congress and the Muslim League signed Lucknow Pact after the session
(c) B. G. Tilak and Annie Besant emerged as important figures of Congress party
(d) This session demanded 'Dominion Status' for India
75. Who was the first Indian to qualify in the Indian Civil Service Exam held in London?
(a) Satyendra Nath Tagore (b) B. L. Gupta (c) Subhas Chandra Bose (d) None of these
76. In which year the Civil Service Examination was held simultaneously in England and India for the first time?
(a) 1920 (b) 1922 (c) 1924 (d) None of these
77. Jallianwala Bagh massacre happened in Amritsar 1919 on :
(a) 6th April (b) 9th April (c) 13th April (d) 17th April
78. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) 'Anandmath' of Bamkim Chandra was published in 1882
(b) Swami Vivekananda delivered a lecture at Chicago in 1893
(c) Dramatic Performance Control Act was imposed in 1876
(d) Vernacular Press Act was imposed in 1888
79. The first Jute mill was set up in 1855 by George Auckland in:
(n) Howrah (b) Rishra (c) Naihati (d) None of these
80. Jamsedji Tata established Tata Iron and Steel Company (TISCO) in:
(a) 1905 (b) 1906 (c) 1907 (d) None of these
81. Who was the Chief of National Council of Education formed In 1906 AD?
(a) Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee (b) Sir Gurudas Banerjee (c) Aurobindo Ghosh (d) None of these
82. With which news magazine Keshab Sen was not associated?
(a) Sulabh Samachar (b) Balak Bandhu (c) Naba Bidhan (d) None of these
83. Hindu College set up in 1817 AD became known as Presidency College in:
(a) 1845 (b) 1853 (c) 1865 (d) None of these
84. In which year Ramkrishna Mission was set up by Swami Vivekananda?
(a) 1895 (b) 1896 (c) 1897 (d) 1898
85. The book 'Indian Renaissance' was authored by:
(a) Swami Vivekananda (b) M. G. Ranade (c) C. F. Andrews (d) None of these
86. Swami Dayanand Swaraswati organised the 'Arya Samaj' in 1875 in:
(a) Gujarat (b) Punjab (c) Maharashtra (d) None of these
87. Who was not associated with the organization of 'Hindu Mela'?
(a) Rajnarayan Basu (b) Nabagopal Mitra (C) V. D. Savarkar (d) None of these
88. 'Prarthana Samaj' was organised in 1867 by:
(a) Devendra Nath Tagore (b) Atmaram Pandurang (c) M. G. Ranade (d) None of these
89. The concept of 'Man Making religion' was advocated by:
(a) Swami Dayanand (b) Swami Vivekananda (c) Swami Sahajanand (d) None of these
90. Which book was not authored by Swami Vivekananda?
(a) Rajyoga (b) Jnanyoga (c) Paribrajak (d) Bharat Pathik
91. Swami Vivekananda died in 1902 AD at an age of around:
(a) 45 years (b) 43 years (c) 41 years (d) 39 years
92. Which one of the Statements was not made by Swami Vivekananda?
(a) Arise, awake and stop not till the goal is reached
(b) Motion is the sign of life
(c) Back to Vedas
(d) Freedom was deserved only by the bold and the brave.
93. 'Hindu Patriot' which extensively reported on oppression done to Indigo cultivators was edited by:
(a) Deena Bandhu Mitra (b) Harish Chandra Mukherjee (c) James Long (d) None of these
94. Indigo rebellion was started by Vishnu Charan Biswas and Digambar Biswas in 1859 in:
(a) Midnapore (b) Murshidabad (c) Nadia (d) None of these
95. The Indigo issues stopped in India after artificial indigo was started to be manufactured in 1891 in:
(a) Britain (b) France (c) Germany (d) None of these
96. Available information indicated that 'Neel Darpan' was actually translated in English by:
(a) James Long (b) Madhusudan Dutta (c) Sisir Kumar Ghosh (d) None of these
97. The main cause of the Indigo Movement in 1859 was:
(a) Political (b) Social (c) Economic (d) None of these
98. Which one has not been correctly matched :
(a) Indian Mirror : Keshab Chandra Sen
(b) The Bengalee : Surendranath Banerjee
(c) Hindu Patriot : Sisir Kumar Ghosh
(d) Sangbad Pravakar : Iswar Gupta
99. 'White Mutiny' against the provisions of the Ilbert Bill happened in 1883 during the reign of:
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Lytton (c) Lord Mayo (c) None of these
100. Who considered the Indian National Congress as 'a microscopic minority of the people'?
(a) Lord Duffraine (b) Lord Curzon (c) Lord Ripon (d) None of these