In this post, we have Shared 100 Solved MCQs based on Indian National Movement for WBCS Preliminary Examination. You may also find it helpful for other competitive examination.
*The Options which looks Green is correct Answer.
1. Who criticised Congress Conference as 'Circus for three days'?
(a) Lord Curzen (b) Lala Lajpat Rai (c) Ashwini Kumar Dutta (d) Subhas Bose
2. Which one has not been correctly matched:
(a) New India: Bipin Chandra Paul
(b) Bangadarshan: Harish Ch.Mukherjee
(c) Sanjivani: Krishna Kumar Mitra
(d) Bandemataram: Aurobindo Ghosh
3. Badruddin Tayabjee was chosen as the third President of Indian National Congress in Conference held in 1887 in:
(a) Allahabad (b) Lucknow (c) Madras (d) Pune
4. By division of Bengal in 1905 new Province created was:
(a) East Bengal (b) Bengal (c) East Bengal and Assam (d) None of these
5. On the day of the 1st partition of Bengal in 1905, Rabindranath Tagore called to observe 'Rakhi Bandhan' festival the date was:
(a) 12th October (b) 16th October (c) 4th November (d) 22nd November
6. Which one has not been correctly matched?
(a) Modern Review: Ramanand Chatterjee
(b) Indian World: British Ch. Roy
(c) Dawn: Satish Ch. Mukherjee
(d) Bengalee: Bhupendra Nath Dutta
7. 'Dawn Society' was established by:
(a) Aurobindo Ghosh (b) Rashbehari Ghosh (c) Satish Chandra Mukherjee (d) None of these
8. The 'Sandha' news magazine was published by:
(a) Bamkim Chandra Chatterjee (b) Brahma Bandhab Upadhyay
(c) Monoranjan Guhathakurata (d) None of these
9. Who stated 'I will Unsettle the Settled Fact' regarding the 1st partition of Bengal?
(a) Surendranath Banerjee (b) Aurobindo Ghosh (c) Subhas Chandra Bose (d) None of these
10. In which year Satish Chandra Basu organised 'Anusilan Samity'?
(a) 1902 AD (b) 1906 AD (c) 1909 AD (d) None of these
11. On which day of 1908 AD, Khudiram Basu was hanged to death in Muzaffarpur jail?
(a) 30th April (b) 16th May (c) 17th June (d) 11th August
12. Rashbihari Bose bombed towards Lord Hardinge in 1912 AD when he was serving as a Forest Research Officer in:
(a) Delhi (b) Lucknow (c) Dehradun (d) None of these
13. Who was considered as the "Father of militant nationalism" in India by the Historian Ramesh Chandra Majumder?
(a) V. D. Savarkar (b) M. N. Roy (c) Vasudev B. Fadke (d) Aurobindo Ghosh
14. Who was hanged to death in London for killing Sir Curzon Willy in 1909?
(a) Madan Lai Dhingra (b) Narayan Deshpande (c) V. D. Savarkar (d) None of these
15. J. M. Chatterjee organised a secret militant outfit in Saharanpur of:
(a) Maharashtra (b) Uttar Pradesh (c) Punjab (d) None of these
16. Hindustan Republic Association was organised in 1912 by:
(a) Jogesh Chandra Chatterjee (b) Chandra Sekhar Azad (c) Basant Biswas (d) None of these
17. Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru, Batukeshwar Dutta were hanged to death in relation to:
(a) Lahore Conspiracy case (b) Merut Conspiracy case (c) Nasik Conspiracy case (d) None of these
18. Indian Republican Army was organised by:
(a) Rash Behari Bose (b) Masterda Surya Sen (c) Jatindranath Mukherjee (d) None of these
19. Labour leader Singaravellu organised First labour day in India on 1st May of:
(a) 1922 (b) 1923 (c) 1924 (d) None of these
20. Who organised the Communist Party of India in Tashkent of Soviet Union?
(a) Manabendranath Roy (b) Sripad Amrit Dange (c) P. C. Joshi (d) None of these
21. Who was the Chief of British rulers of India when First War of Indian Independence or Sepoy Mutiny happened in India?
(a) Lord Dalhousie (b) Lord Canning (c) Lord Elgin (d) None of these
22. In which place the Sepoy Mutiny was initiated at the earliest?
(a) Meerat (b) Nagpur (c) Barrackpore (d) None of these
23. Who among the following, were against the Sepoy Mutiny?
(a) Farmers (b) Zamindars (c) Deposed rulers (d) None of these
24. After the end of the Sepoy Mutiny the Mughal emperor 2nd Bahadur Shah was:
(a) Killed (b) Exiled (c) Put for Trial (d) None of these
25. Which one of the following Acts, was passed as a consequence of the 1st War of Independence or Sepoy Mutiny?
(a) Charter Act (b) Indian Council Act (c) Indian Administration Act (d) None of these.
26. In which year Rail connection between Calcutta and Bombay started?
(a) 1862 (b) 1865 (c) 1870 (d) None of these
27. In which year Rail connection between Madras and Bombay started?
(a) 1862 (b) 1865 (c) 1871 (d) None of these
28. Which one of the following industries did not emerge in India within the 19th century?
(a) Jute (b) Textile (c) Iron (d) Engineering
29. Hunter Commission, headed by Sir William Hunter was set up in 1882 and the report was submitted in 1884 for submitting recommendations in the areas of:
(a) Industries (b) Education (c) Autonomy of Local bodies (d) None of these
30. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Raja Rammohan Ray : Brahma Samaj
(b) Swami Dayananda Saraswati : Arya Samaj
(c) Keshab Chandra Sen : Parthana Samaj
(d) Madan Mohan Malavia : Vedic Samaj
31. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Aligarh University : Sir Syed Ahmed
(b) Maratha Hindu University : Madan Mohan Malavia
(c) Ramakrishna Mission : Swami Vivekananda
(d) Visvabharti University : Rabindranath Tagore
32. Who among the following, at first stated about 'Two Nations Theory' between the Hindus and Muslims of India?
(a) Moulana Abul Kalam Azad (b) Sir Syed Ahmed (c) Mohammad Ali Jinnah (d) Choudhary Rahamat Ali
33. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Bankim Chandra : Ananda Math
(b) Deenabandhu Mitra : Neel Darpan
(c) Dwijendra Lai Roy : Mebar Patan
(d) Rabindranath Tagore : Bartaman Bharat
34. Bartaman Bharat was authored by:
(a) Swami Vivekananda (b) Bankim Chandra (c) Deenabandhu Mitra (d) Dwijendra Lai Roy
35. The song 'Bande Mataram' was composed by:
(a) Vivekananda (b) Bankim Chandra (c) D. L. Roy (d) None of these
36. The song 'Sare Jahan Se Achha Hindustan Hamara ...' was composed by:
(a) R. N. Tripathi (b) Allama Iqbal (c) Mirza Ghalib (d) None of these
37. Which one of the following Newspapers did not helped the Indian National Movement during the British period?
(a) Amrita Bazar Patrika (b) Dainik Basumati (c) Indian Mirror (d) The Times of India
38. Sisir Kumar Ghosh was associated with:
(a) Amritabazar (b) Ananda Bazar (c) Basumati (d) None of these
39. Which one of the following Newspaper changed from Bengali to English overnight to avoid censorship imposed under the Vernacular Press Act?
(a) Amritabazar Patrika (b) Dainik Basumati (c) Indian Mirror (b) Ananda Bazar
40. Who among the following, imposed Vernacular Press Act?
(a) Lord Litton (b) Lord Ripon (c) Lord Dufferin (d) None of these
41. What was the former name of the present daily 'The Statesman'?
(a) Indian Mirror (b) Indian Patriot (c) Friend of India (d) None of these
42. Newspaper 'Friend of India' was started by:
(a) Robert Night (b) Suresh Chandra Majumdar (c) Prafulla Kumar Sarkar (d) None of these
43. Which one of the following Associations was constituted at the earliest?
(a) Landholders Society (b) British India Association (c) Indian League (d) Indian National Congress
44. In which year Landholders Society was set up by Prince Dwarakanath Tagore
(a) 1838 (b) 1852 (c) 1875 (d) 1885
45. In which year Indian National Congress was set up by Allen Octavian Hume?
(a) 1838 (b) 1852 (c) 1875 (d) 1885
46. Which one of the following Associations was set up by Surendranath Bannerjee?
(a) Indian League (b) Indian Association (c) Mahajan Sabha (d) Indian National Union
47. In which year Indian Association was set up by Surendranath Bannerjee?
(a) 1852 (b) 1875 (c) 1876 (d) 1885
48. Who among the following I.C.S. Officer was removed from service by the British rulers?
(a) Satyendranath Tagore (b) Romesh Dutt (c) Behari Lal Gupta (d) Surendranath Bannerjee
49. What is the new name of Rippon College?
(a) Surendranath College (b) Presidency College (c) Ashutosh college (d) None of these
50. Who Presided in the first Session of Indian National Congress?
(a) Allen Octavian Hume (b) Motilal Nehru (c) W. C. Bannerjee (d) None of these
51. Who was the Chief of the British rulers of India, during the time when Indian National Congress was formed in 1885?
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Dufferin (c) Lord Dalhousie (d) None of these
52. 'Ilbert Bill' was proposed during the period of:
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Lansdowne (c) Lord Elgin (d) None of these
53. Who presided over the Second Session of Indian National Congress?
(a) Dadabhai Naoroji (b) Badruddin Tayabji (c) Gorge Yule (d) None of these.
54. Who among the following was not an extremist leader?
(a) Balgangadhar Tilak (b) Lala Lajpat Rai (c) Bipin Chandra Pal (d) Dadabhai Nauroji
55. Who led Swadeshi movement against the 1st Partition of Bengal in 1905?
(a) Arabinda Ghosh (b) Ashwini Kumar Dutta (c) Surendra Nath Banerjee (d) None of these
56. In which city Muslim League was formed in 1906 through encouragement given by British rulers to press for demand to retain Partition of Bengal?
(a) Lucknow (b) Karachi (c) Dhaka (d) None of these
57. In which place the announcement to revoke the order of 1st Partition of Bengal was done?
(a) Dhaka (b) Calcutta (c) Delhi (d) None of these
58. Who led the formation of 'Anusilan Samity' in Bengal?
(a) Aurobindo Ghosh (b) Barindra Kumar Ghosh (c) Satish Chandra Basu (d) Bipin Behari Ganguly
59. In which year the Anusilan Samity was formed by Satish Chandra Basu to organise a terrorist movement in Bengal?
(a) 1901 (b) 1911 (c) 1921 (d) 1931
60. In a place of which one of modern State, Prafulla Chaki and Khudiram Bose threw bomb upon a car to kill a British officer in 1908?
(a) West Bengal (b) Uttar Pradesh (c) Bihar (d) None of these
61. Who among the following, organised Extremist/Terrorist group to fight against the British rulers, in India at the earliest?
(a) Basudev Balvant Fadke (b) Vinayak Damodar Sarvakar (c) Lala Lajpat Rai (d) Lala Hardayal.
62. Who was the prime accused in 'Lahore conspiracy Case'?
(a) Rashbehari Bose (b) Manabendra Nath Roy (c) Madan Lai Dhigra (d) None of these.
63. In which the modern state of India 'Bagha Jatin' was killed in an armed encounter with the British Security Force?
(a) West Bengal (b) Orissa (c) Bihar (d) Uttar Pradesh
64. In which year Gandhiji returned to India from South Africa?
(a) 1910 (b) 1915 (c) 1920 (d) None of these
65. Who was chosen as first Woman President of Indian National Congress?
(a) Annie Besant (b) Sarojini Naidu (c) Vijay Laxmi Pandit (d) None of these
66. In which year Annie Beasant, a woman of European origin became President of Indian National Congress?
(a) 1885 (b) 1895 (c) 1905 (d) 1917
67. In which year Sarojini Naidu, a woman of Indian origin become President of Indian National Congress?
(a) 1895 (b) 1905 (c) 1917 (d) 1925
68. Which one of the following happened at the earliest?
(a) Morley-Minto Reforms
(b) Montagu-Chemlsford Reforms
(c) Rowlatt Act
(d) Jalliwanwallabagh Massacre
69. Khalifat Movement led by Mohammed Ali and Swakat Ali was started during 1919-20 to protect the interest of:
(a) India (b) Persia (c) Turkey (d) None of these
70. who was the Chairman of the Khilafat Movement Committee?
(a) Mohammed Ali (b) Swakat Ali (c) Mahatma Gandhi (d) None of these
71. In which year the Non-Cooperation Movement was initiated?
(a) 1920 (b) 1922 (c) 1924 (d) None of these
72. Who was not associated with the formation of 'Swarajya Dal"?
(a) Gandhiji (b) C. R. Das (c) Motilal Nehru (d) None of these
73. In which year Swarajya Dal was formed by Chitta Ranjan Das and Motilal Nehru
(a) 1905 (b) 1911 (c) 1923 (d) 1925
74. In which year the Simon Commission came to India from England?
(a) 1922 (b) 1924 (c) 1926 (d) 1928
75. In which year Congress Party took a resolution to have complete freedom (i.e 'Purna Swaraj') for India?
(a) 1928 (b) 1930 (c) 1929 (d) 1932
76. Which day was declared as the Independence Day for India in the Lahore Session held in 1929?
(a) 26th January of 1930 (b) 26th January of 1935 (c) 26th January of 1940 (d) 26th January, 1950
77. In which year Gandhiji organised 'Dandi March' from Sabarmati Ashram to Dandi Sea Shore in Gujrat against ban on salt production imposed by British rulers?
(a) 1928 (b) 1930 (c) 1932 (d) None of these
78. "Red Shirt" (Lai Kurta) Party was formed in:
(a) Uttar Pradesh (b) NWFP (c) NEFP (d) None of these
79. In which place stores of arms and ammunition of British Security force were looted by a group led by Surya Sen?
(a) Midnapore (b) Dhaka (c) Chittagong (d) None of these
80. By whom Bardoli Movement was organised and led?
(a) Mahatma Gandhi (b) Motilal Nehru (c) Ballavbhai Patel (d) None of these
81. In which year Allinda Juddha (Corridor Battle) happened in Calcutta Secretariat?
(a) 8th December,1928 (b) 8th December,1930 (c) 8th December,1932 (d ) None of these
82. In which place First Round Table Conference was arranged?
(a) Calcutta (b) Delhi (c) London (d) None of these
83. In which year Communal Award was announced by British rulers?
(a) 1930 (b) 1932 (c) 1934 (d) None of these
84. Who among the following died for continuing indefinitely fast?
(a) Jatin Das (b) Bhagat Singh (c) Sukhdev (d) Rajguru
85. Who killed a British Officer in London?
(a) Lai Hardayal (b) Madan Lai Dhingra (c) Damodar Chapekar (d) None of these
86. In which year elections were held to elect representatives for the Provincial Assemblies on the basis of Government of India Act. 1935?
(a) 1936 (b) 1937 (c) 1938 (d) None of these
87. In which year Subhas Bose had to resign the post of Congress President after being elected?
(a) 1937 (b) 1938 (c) 1939 (d) 1940
88. In which year Muslim League took a resolution to have a separate land for Indian Muslims?
(a) 1938 (b) 1940 (c) 1942 (d) None of these
89. In which year Subhas Bose escaped from his house arrest in his Elgin Road Residence of Kolkata and went to Germany via Afghanistan?
(a) 1941 (b) 1942 (c) 1943 (d) None of these
90. In which year Wavell Plan was announced by British rulers?
(a) 1943 (b) 1944 (c) 1945 (d) None of these
91. Which one of the following groups of the island was named a 'Saheed Dweep' by INA leader Netaji Subhas Bose?
(a) Andamans (b) Nicobars (c) Lakshadweep (d) None of these
92. In which year Cripps Mission led by Sir Stafford Cripps, a member of British Council of Ministers and expert in constitutional affairs, proposed to arrange Dominion Status and some other political advantages for the Indians after the end of the on-going Second World War came to India?
(a) 1940 (b) 1941 (c) 1942 (d) None of these
93. In which day 'Quit India Movement' was started?
(a) 9th July, 1942 (b) 9th August, 1942 (c) 9th September, 1942 (d) None of these
94. In which year Bengal faced high famine condition?
(a) 1942-43 (b) 1943-44 (c) 1944-45 (d) None
95. In which year the Cabinet Mission arrived in India from England?
(a) 1944 (b) 1945 (c) 1946 (d) None
96. In which place a large number of Navy personnel of Indian origin revolted on 18th February, 1946?
(a) Calicut (b) Madras (c) Bombay (d) None of these
97. In which month 'Direct Action' Day was observed by the Muslim League in 1946?
(a) July (b) August (c) September (d) October
98. In which day of 1946, an Interim Government was formed under the leadership of Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru in India in order to arrange Indian freedom?
(a) 2nd July (b) 2nd August (c) 2nd September (d) 2nd October
99. Who was chosen as Governor General of Free India in 1947?
(a) Rajendra Prasad (b) C. Rajagopalachari (c) Lord Mountbatten (d) None of these
100. Who was Governor General of Indian origin in Free India?
(a) C. Rajagopalachari (b) Dr Rajendra Prasad
(c) Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (d) None of these