In this post, we have Shared 100 Solved MCQs based on Indian Polity and Economy for WBCS Preliminary Examination. You may also find it helpful for other competitive examination.
*The Options which looks Green is correct Answer.
1. With which country India has entered into an agreement to produce Hydroelectricity?
(a) Myanmar (b) Bangladesh (c) Nepal (d) Bhutan
2. Through which system highest area of Lands of India are irrigated?
(a) Canal (b) Deep Tubewells (c) Tanks (d) None
3. Around what percentage of National income of India is contributed by the Agricultural sector?
(a) 20)% (b) 30% (c) 40% (d) 50%
4. In which area India is not in a deficit position in respect of production?
(a) Oil-seeds (b) Pulses (c) Vegetables (d) None
5. In which case India has got the largest number in the world?
(a) Goats & sheep (b) Cattle heads (c) Chickens (d) All of these
6. Around which percentage of GDP is contributed by the Public sector enterprises in the Indian economy?
(a) 25% (b) 40% (c) 50% (d) 60%
7. Around what percentage of GDP is saved yearly in India?
(a) 25% (b) 35% (c) 50% (d) More than 50%
8. By how many times the prices of goods and services have become increased in India since Independence in 1947?
(a) 20 times (b) 30 times (c) 40 times (d) None of these
9. For which amount no corresponding goods and services are supplied in the economy?
(a) Foreign loan (b) Deficit financing (c) Taxes (d) None
10. in which year New Economic Policy (NEP) was announced in India?
(a) 1950 (b) 1965 (c) 1985 (d) None
11. In which year Liberalization of Industrial Licensing Policies were announced in India?
(a) 1985 (b) 1988 (c) 1991 (d) None
12. From what area Indian planners receive the highest amount?
(a) Surplus from taxes (b) Internal borrowing (c) External borrowing (d) Deficit Financing
13. In which case the role of Public sector Enterprises is not supreme in the Economy of India?
(a) Petroleum marketing (b) Computer manufacturing
(c) Defence equipment manufacturing (d) None of these
14. The term 'Administered Price' is associated with:
(a) Public Sector (b) Private Sector (c) Organised Sector (d) Unorganised sector
15. In which case the workers are associated with Unorganised sector in the economy of India?
(a) Iron & Steel Industry workers (b) Coal mine workers
(c) Handloom workers (d) None of these
16. In which case, there are a larger number of workers than any other among the areas mentioned in the alternatives?
(a) Cement (b) Steel (c) Textiles (d) Computers
17. In which sector India has been showing the highest growth in recent years?
(a) Agriculture (b) Industries (c) Services (d) None
18. IDBI, IFCI, ICICl are associated with ........ sector:
(a) Agricultural (b) Industrial (c) Services (d) None of these
19. Which one arrange foreign exchange as loan for the Government of India?
(a) IBRD (b) ADB (c) IMF (d) All of these
20. The Scheduled Banks of India are controlled by the:
(a) UTI (b) Bank's Association (c) RBI (d) None of these
21. What was the target of overall growth in GDP per annum during the 9th Year Plan period (1997-2002)?
(a) 50% (b) 6% (c) 6.5% (d) 7%
22. To reduce unemployment in India, plans are required to be taken to introduce ........ technique of production.
(a) Capital-intensive (b) Labour-intensive (c) Labour-saving (d) None of these
23. In which year 8th Five Year Plan of India was started?
(a) 1990 (b) 1992 (c) 1993 (d) None of these
24. Approximate per capita or per head yearly income of an Indian on basis of findings of 2001 census was:
(a) 10,000 (b) Rs. 12,000 (c) Rs. 14,000 (d) Rs. 16,000
25. By which percent population of India increased from 1991 to 2001 (i.e decadal growth approximately):
(a) 17% (b) 19% (c) 21% (d) 23%
26. What was the average density of population in India as per 2001 census report:
(a) 288 persons (b) 304 persons (c) 322 persons (d) 324 persons
27. Average fertility rate i.e number of children per married women on the basis of the 2001 census was:
(a) 2.5 (b) 2.8 (c) 3.2 (d) 3.6
28. Average birth rate per 1000 persons in India in 2001 census was (approximately):
(a) 22 (b) 24 (c) 26 (d) 28
29. Average death rate per 1000 persons per year in India in 2001 census was (Approximately):
(a) 7 (b) 9 (c) 11 (d) 13
30. Persons living below poverty line in India on the basis of 2001 census was:
(a) 26% (b) 30% (c) 34% (d) 42%
31. The target for 10th plan (Plan period 2002-2007) was to reduce persons living below poverty line to:
(a) 18% (b) 20% (c) 22% (d) 25%
32. The Reserve Bank of India started to function from 1st of April of
(a) 1932 (b) 1935 (c) 1941 (d) 1948
33. Which one has not been correctly matched regarding time period of Indian Plans:
(a) Sixth Plan: 1980-85 (b) Severn Plan: 1985-90
(c) Eight Plan: 1990-95 (d) None of the
34. The Chelliah Committee formed in 1991 submitted recommendations on:
(a) Bank reforms (b) Tax reforms (c) Stock Exchange reforms (d) None of these
35. Highest source of tax collection in India is:
(a) Direct Tax (b) Indirect tax (c) Value Added Tax (d) None
36. Issues relating to money matters of India are published in the form of Monetary policies by the Reserve Bank of India ....... in a year?
(a) Once (b) Twice (c) Thrice (d) None of these
37. The New Industrial Policy of India was announced in:
(a) 1988 (1) 1989 (c) 1990 (d) 1991
38. Which one is not within the function of the Reserve Bank of India?
(a) Paper currency issue (b) Banker to the Government
(c) Custodian of Foreign Exchange Reserve (d) Banker to the Multinational Companies
39. Which one is not within the Quantitative Credit Control measures of the Reserve Bank of India?
(a) Bank Rate (b) Open Market (c) Credit Rationing (d) Variable Reserve Ratio
40. The system of the imposition of Income tax in India is:
(a) Proportional (b) Progressive (c) Regressive (d) None of these
41. The Union Budget of India generally presented in the Parliament in:
(a) February (b) March (c) April (d) None of these
42. In which position the outcome of foreign trade of India is generally found:
(a) Balanced (b) Surplus (c) Deficit (d) None
43. Which one has not been correctly matched regarding establishment time:
(a) NABARD : 1982 (b) SIDBI : 1990 (c) UTI : 1963 (d) IDBI : 1978
44. In which year the Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) set up:
(a) 1964 (b) 1973 (c) 1975 (d) None of these
45. In which year 'Sampporna Gramin Rozgar Yojana' (SGRY) was started in India:
(a) 1999 (b) 2001 (c) 2002 (d) 2003
46. What was the volume of yearly production of food grains in India in the initial period of the 10th Five Year plan (in million tones :
(a) 180 (b) 190 (c) 200 (d) 210
47. Which one was the highest source of export earning in the initial period of the 10th Plan (2002-2007)?
(a) Gems & Jewellery (b) Textiles (c) Engineering goods (d) Chemicals
48. In India, the highest savings fund remained created by:
(a) Household sector (b) Corporate sector (c) Public Sector (d) None of these
49. In the present Indian societies the percentage of children remaining upto 6 years among the total population remained around : (as in 2001 census):
(a) 10% (b) 15% (c) 20% (d) 25%
50. By how much times the population of India increased in India since 1991 census:
(a) 2 times (b) 3 times (c) 4 times (5) 5 time
51. Minimum percentage of total male adult persons of an urban area remaining engaged in non-agricultural activities should be:
(a) 50 (b) 60 (c) 75 (d) 90
52. In the census of 1991, India had 23 mega cities each having at least 10 lakh people. In the 2001 census, the number of megacities increased to:
(a) 28 (b) 31 (c) 35 (d) 41
53. Which State has got the highest percentage of urban people in the 2001 census?
(a) Maharashtra (b) Punjab (c) Kerala (d) Tamil Nadu
54. Indian State having the lowest percentage of people living below the poverty line on the basis of 2001 census report was :
(a) Kerala (b) Gujarat (c) Punjab (d) Karnataka
55. Around what percentage of total people of India was found as working people or productive consumers on the basis of 2001 census report?
(a) 30 (b) 35 (c) 40 (d) 45
56. Indian State having the highest rank in Human Development Index (HDI) In 2001 census was:
(a) Haryana (b) Gujrat (c) Punjab (d) Kerala
57. The greatest achievement of the Five Year Plans of India remained:
(a) Economic Security (b) Employment Security (c) Food security (d) Eradication of poverty
58. The area of highest priority from the Public Sector during the 9th plan period was:
(a) Industries (b) Power (c) Social services (d) Telecommunication
59. In which year the Industrial Policy Resolution was announced by the Union Government of India?
(a) 1948 (b) 1950 (c) 1952 (d) 1954
60. Dr R. K. Hazari Commission submitted recommendations on issues relating to:
(a) Agricultural policies (b) Industrial licensing policies (c) Fiscal policies (d) Banking policies
61. Public Sector Undertaking of India having the highest turnover is
(a) Indian Oil Corporation (b) Food Corporation of India
(c) National Thermal Power Corporation (d) Steel Authority of India
62. Which one was not the objective of the organisation of Public Sector Units in India:
(a) Higher economic development (b) Creation of employment opportunities
(c) Earning of maximum possible profit (d) Promote balanced regional growth
63. In which year the Integrated Rural Development Programme (IRDP) was launched?
(a) 1978 (b) 1980 (c) 1982 (d) 1984
64. The Union Government of India introduced the Economic planning system on the basis of the planning system of:
(a) USA (b) Soviet Union (c) China (d) Germany
65. Indian planning system was found remained biased towards the:
(a) Mahalanobis Model (b) Gandhian model (c) Keynes model (d) Marshallian model
66. The population of India increased rapidly mainly for:
(a) High birth rate (b) Immigration from outside (c) Decreasing death rate (d) Absence of famines
67. Which sector may be found to have a higher share in relation to the other towards the National Income of India in recent time:
(a) Primary (b) Secondary (c) Tertiary (d) None of these
68. The trend of economic development of an economy should be measured by evaluating:
(a) National income (b) Per capita money income
(c) Per capita real income (d) Position of global trade.
69. The most important agricultural product exported from India remained:
(a) Jute (b) Coffee (c) Tea (d) Wheat
70. The rural economy of India is found to suffer from:
(a) Voluntary unemployment (b) Disguised unemployment
(c) Structural unemployment (d) Cyclical unemployment
71. Which one should be considered within the basic industry:
(a) Textiles (b) Chemicals (c) Iron (d) Cement
72. In which side the industrial sector of India showed good progress in recent decades?
(a) Producers goods (b) Consumer durables (c) Wage goods (d) None of these
73. Which sector is desired to be developed by the Planners through utilisation of Public sector fund in recent years?
(a) Agriculture (b) Industries (c) Infrastructure (d) None of these
74. A major portion of the agricultural lands of India are found to remain under:
(a) Smallholdings (b) Medium holding (c) Large holdings (d) None of these
75. What percentage of the total land area of India is found to remain within the Urban centres?
(a) 5 (b) 10 (c) 15 (d) 20
76. In India the sugar industries are found to remain located near the:
(a) Market (b) Source of raw materials (c) source of the labour force (d) None of these
77. Which tax is not collected by the Union Government of India:
(a) Income tax (b) Sales tax (c) Corporation tax (d) Excise tax
78. Continent having a highest transaction with India in global trade is:
(a) Asia (b) Europe (c) North America (d) None of these
79. The continuing deficit in the balance of payment position of India in global trade may be considered as:
(a) Unproductive deficit (b) Development deficit (c) Consumption deficit (d) Wasting deficit
80. In the supply of which items the Union Government of India is found to enjoy almost monopoly position \:
(a) Petroleum oil (b) Defence equipment (c) Steel products (d) None
81. A single country remaining as the largest trade partner of India is in:
(a)Asia (b) Europe (c) North America (d) South America
82. The inflationary trend of India is based on:
(a) Demand-pull (b) Cost push (c) Both demand pull and cost push (d) None of these
83. In which mineral India is found to have a deficient position in local production:
(a) Iron Ore (b) Mica (c) Manganese (d) Tin
84. In India poverty of people is generally measures in relation to:
(a) food consumption (b) calorie intake (c) Housing and clothing (d) All of these
85. The 'SEBI' is found to have control over Indian:
(a) Banks (b) Stock Exchanges (c) Wholesale trade (d) None
86. The rate at which the Reserve Bank of India discount Bills of Exchanges of the Commercial Banks is known as:
(a) Interest rate (b) Bank rate (c) Discount rate (d) None of these
87. In which year the life Insurance Companies were nationalised in India:
(a) 1952 (b) 1954 (c) 1956 (d) 1958
88. The functions relating to 'Clearing House' for the Indian Banks are done by:
(a) Bureau of Bank (b) Reserve Bank (c) Finance Ministry (d) None of these
89. In India the lowest volume of tax is received from:
(a) Excise duties (b) Agricultural tax (c) Income tax (d) Corporation tax
90. The Indian economy may be considered as a:
(a) Food surplus economy (b) Trade surplus economy
(c) Labour surplus economy (d) Production surplus economy
91. Foreign Exchange of highest value in terms of Indian rupee is
(a) American dollar (b) British Sterling (c) Russian Rouble (d) Japanese Yen
92. In India companies are required to pay Corporation tax on their:
(a) Production (b) Sales (c) Income (d) Investment
93. Chief Ministers of the Indian States are associated as members with:
(a) Planning Commission (b) Finance Commission
(c) National Development council (d) None of these
94. Who was chosen as the Chairman of the 12th Finance Commission of India :
(a) M. S. Aluwalia (b) C. Rangarajan (c) Bimal Jalan (d) None
95. In which case India is not the biggest producer in the world:
(a) Banana (b) Onion (c) ground-nut (d) rice
96. West Bengal has an Export Processing zone at:
(a) Haldia (b) Durgapur (c) Falta (d) None of these
97. Indian State having highest production of Cardamon is:
(a) Kerala (b) Sikkim (c) Madhya Pradesh (d) Jammu & Kashmir
98. In 1991 census India had 927 females per 1000 males, such sex ratio in 2001 census remained :
(a) 929 females (b) 931 females (c) 933 females (d) 935 females
99. In which area no subsidy is given by the Union Government of India?
(a) Foods (b) Fertilizer (c) Diesel (d) Cooking gas
100. For which item import expenditure became reduced for India with the passage of time:
(a) Chemicals (b) Machines (c) Foods (d) Fuels