In this post, we have Shared 100 Solved MCQs based on Indian Polity and Economy for WBCS Preliminary Examination. You may also find it helpful for other competitive examination.
*The Options which looks Green is correct Answer.
1. Which schedule has got names of Indian States and Union Territories?
(a) First (b) Second (c) Third (d) None of these
2. In which part of the Indian Constitution 'Citizenship' issues are?
(a) First (b) Second (c) Third (d) None
3. By which Article the makers of Indian constitution delivered the power to the Parliament to regulate rights of Indian citizenship?
(a) Article 10 (b) Article 11 (c) Article 12 (d) None of these
4. Which one has not been correctly matched regarding Articles of Constitution:
(a) Equality before Law: Article 14 (b) Abolition of Untouchability: Article 16
(c) Abolition of Titles: Article 18 (d) Protection against arrest: Article 22
5. By which Article Citizens of India have been given freedom to manage religious affairs?
(a) Article 23 (b) Article 24 (c) Article 25 (d) Article 26
6. Which one is not within the Directive Principles of State Policy?
(a) The organisation of Village Panchayats (b) Protection of the integrity of India
(c) Uniform Civil Code for the citizens (d) Separation of Judiciary from Executive
7. How many heads of Fundamental duties for Indin citizens have been kept in Indian Constitution?
(a) 8 (b) 10 (c) 12 (d) 14
8. Which Article has stated that There shall be a President of India?
(a) Article 52 (b) Article 54 (c) Article 56 (d) None of these
9. How many maximum terms a particular person may be elected as the President of India?
(a) Two (b) Three (c) Four (d) None
10. Impeachment Motion against the President is to be passed in each House of the Parliament of India by:
(a) The simple majority number of members of the House
(b) A two-thirds majority of the voting members
(c) A two-thirds majority of the total members
(d) A three-fourths majority of voting members
11. On the basis of the latest rule the number of members of the Union Council of Ministers of India may be maximum :
(a) 10% of the total numbers of Parliament
(b) 15% of the total number of members of the Parliament
(c) 10% of the total number of members of the Lok Sabha
(d) 15% of total members of the Lok Sabha
12. Within which Article it has been stated that the Union Council of Ministers is to aid and advise the President of India?
(a) Article 74 (b) Article 76 (c) Article 78 (d) None of these
13. The President of India has got the constitutional obligation to assent any Proposal forwarded by the Union Council of Minister or Union Cabinet for the:
(a) First time (b) Second time (c) Third time (d) None of these
14. On the basis of which Article the Attorney General of India is appointed by the President of India?
(a) Article 76 (b) Article 80 (c) Article 84 (d) None of these
15. What may be the maximum number of elected members in the Rajya Sabha on the basis of the provision of the Constitution of India?
(a) 250 (b) 238 (c) 232 (d) None of these
16. A minimum number of members of the Council of State (Rajya Sabha) from an Indian State may be:
(a) 1 (b) 2 (c) 3 (d) None
17. In India the minimum number of session of Parliament in a year may be:
(a) 1 (b) 2 (c) 3 (d) 4
18. Who is the entitled to address or to take part in the proceeding in both the Houses of Parliament?
(a) Chief Election Commissioner (b) Advocate General
(c) Attorney General (d) Comptroller & Auditor General
19. Speaker of the Lok Sabha willing to resign the post is to the resignation letter to the?
(a) President of India (b) Prime Minister of India
(c) Chief Justice of India (d) Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha
20. Who among the following, should have the qualification to become appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court of India?
(a) Advocate General (b) Attorney General (c) Union Law Minister (d) None of these
21. An Impeachment proceeding is to be passed to remove:
(a) Advocate General (b) Attorney General (c) Comptroller & Auditor General (d) None of these
22. Under which Article a Governor is to remain for each State of India:
(a) Article 148 (b) Article 153 (c) Article l57 (d) None of these
23. Which organisation is entitled to inquire into the proceeding of a State Legislature?
(a) High Court (b) Supreme Court (c) Parliament (d) None
24. Which authority is entitled to allow the creation of Legislature for Union Territories of India?
(a) The President (b) The Union Council of Ministers (c) The Parliament (d) None of these
25. On the basis of the provision of which Article of the constitution the States of India has got an obligation to frame laws in compliance with the laws enacted by the Parliament of India?
(a) Article 226 (b) Article 236 (c) Article 246 (d) Article 256
26. On the basis of which Article the Finance Commission of India is constituted?
(a) Article 280 (b) Article 282 (c) Article 283 (d) Nono
27. On the basis of Article 300, an Indian citizen is entitled to file suit against:
(a) The President of India (b) The Prime Minister o| India
(c) The Union of India (d) The Union Cabinet of India
28. A member of the Union Public Service Commission of India is appointed by the President of India for a period of:
(a) 4 years (b) 5 years (c) 6 years (d) None of these
29. For how many terms a person may be appointed as a member of the Union Public Service Commission or a State Public Service Commission:
(a) One (b) Two (c) Three (d) None
30. Expenses in the form of salaries of members of the Public Service Commission and others are payable from the:
(a) General fund (b) Consolidated fund (c) Contingency fund (d) None of these
31. On the basis of which Article the Election Commission of India is constituted?
(a) Article 324 (b) Article 343 (c) Article 344 (d) None of these
32. Which Article of the Constitution of India is associated with the declaration of the official language of the Union of India?
(a) Article 342 (b) Article 343 (c) Article 344 (d) None of these
33. Which Article has declared that English would remain as Language to be used in Supreme Court and High Courts of India?
(a) Article 348 (b) Article 350 (c) Article 351 (d) None of these
34. Without approval of the Parliament, the National Emergency under Article 352 may remain enforced for a maximum period of
(a) 1 month (b) 2 months (c) 3 months (d) 6 months
35. Without approval of the Parliament, the Presidential rule imposed in a State under Article 356 remains enforced for a maximum period of:
(a) 1 mouth (b) 2 months (c) 3 months (d) None of these
36. Provisions for administration of Scheduled Areas have been within:
(a) 4th schedule (b) 5th schedule (c) 6th schedule (d) None
37. Which one is not within the State List:
(a) Local Government (b) Audit account of States (c) sanitation (d) Prisons
38. Which one is not within Concurrent list?
(a) Criminal procedure (b) Professional tax (c) Higher education (d) Newspapers
39. The decision regarding the number of judges for a High court is finally taken by:
(a) The Chief Justice of India (b) The President of India
(c) The Chief Justice of the High Court (d) The Governor of the State
40. By which Constitutional Amendment 'Right to Property' was declared as a legal right in India?
(a) 42nd (b) 43rd (c) 44th (d) None of these
41. In which year first General election was started in India?
(a) 1950 (b) 1951 (c) 1952 (d) None of these
42. Who took pioneering steps to integrate several hundred Native States of the British period within the Indian Union?
(a) Dr. Rajendra Prasad (b) C. Rajagopalachari (c) Sardar Ballavbhai Patel (d) None of these
43. In which year Panchsheel Agreement was signed?
(a) 1954 (b) 1955 (c) 1956 (d) None of these
44. Which one of the following is not correctly matched?
(a) Life Insurance Business Nationalization: 1956
(b) State Reorganization Act of India introduced: 1957
(c) Metric System of Weights and Measures introduced: 1958
(d) Portuguese enclaves of Goa etc. occupied by India: 1961
45. In which year Lai Bahadur Shastri become Prime Minister of India?
(a) 1963 (b) 1964 (c) 1965 (d) None of these
46. In which year Mrs Indira Gandhi emerged as the Prime Minister of India?
(a) 1966 (b) 1967 (c) 1968 (d) None of these
47. Who worked as the Second President of Union of India?
(a) S. Radhakrishnan (b) Dr Zakir Hossain (c) V.V. Giri (d) None of these
48. In which year of following India did not face war with Pakistan
(a) 1947 (b) 1962 (c) 1965 (d) 1971
49. How many private banks were nationalized in First Phase?
(a) 6 (b) 10 (c) 14 (d) None of these
50. In which year National Emergency under Article 352 of the Constitution was promulgated in India by the Govt. of PM Mrs Indira Gandhi?
(a) 1974 (b) 1975 (c) 1976 (d) None of these
51. In which year Mr Morerji Desai became Prime Minister of India?
(a) 1977 (b) 1978 (c) 1979 (d) None of these
52. Around what percentage of Indian people belong to SC/ST group?
(a) 22% (b) 26% (c) 35% (d) 40%
53. Local Self-Government system in villages originated during?
(a) Vedic period (b) Muslim Period (c) British Period (d) Post independent period.
54. The British rulers took steps to develop:
(a) Municipalities (b) Town Corporation (c) District Councils (d) None of these
55. Which one of the following Committees advocated the formation of Village Self Government system in rural India?
(a) B. R. Mehta Committee (b) Mondal Commission (c) Sarkaria Commission (d) None of these.
56. Generally how many tiers are there in the existing Panchayet system in a major number of States of India?
(a) Two (b) Three (c) Four (d) None of these
57. Who among the following is not associated with a Panchayet Samity (constituted for an area of a block within a District)?
(a) Chairman of all the village Panchayats of the concerned area
(b) Block Development Officer of the concerned area
(c) MLA and MP of the concerned area
(d) None of these
58. By which Amendment of the Constitution one-third of total seats in all the Panchayats was made reserved for women?
(a) 73rd (b) 74th (c) 75th (d) None of these
59. Which one of the following Schedules of the Indian Constitution contains the area of activities of Panchayats?
(a) 9th (b) 11th (c) 12th (d) None of these
60. How many types of Municipalities have been arranged for urban areas of India?
(a) One (b) Two (c) Three (d) None of these
61. Through which one of the following Articles the Governmental authorities have been directed to organise Village Panchayats?
(a) Article 40 (b) Article 45 (c) Article 48 (d) None
62. Who, among the following, strongly advocated and urged the British rulers of India to introduce Panchayats in rural areas?
(a) Motilal Nehru (b) M. K. Gandhi (c) Binoche Bhave (d) None of these
63. Which one of the following States did not organise Village Panchayats at an early stage in independent India?
(a) Andhra Pradesh (b) Rajasthan (c) Bihar (d) None
64. Who is associated with 'Gram Sabha' in a Panchayet area?
(a) All the members of the Panchayat (b) All the adult persons of the area
(c) All the adult male persons of the area (d) All the graduates of the area
65. From which one of the following sources a Panchayet does not receive financial resources?
(a) Taxes and fees (b) Financial aid from Union Government
(c) Financial aid from State Government (d) External loan
66. For what period of time a Panchayet or Municipal Committee are organised?
(a) 5 years (b) 6 years (c) 10 years (d) None
67. Panchayat/Municipal Elections are organised by:
(a) Election Commission (b) State Government (c) Union Government (d) None of these
68. Any State having a population below ........ has been kept outside the obligation to organise 3-tier Panchayet System
(a) 10 lakh (b) 20 lakh (c) 50 lakh (d) None of these
69. Which one of the following Part of the Indian Constitution deals with 3 tier Panchayat system in India?
(a) Part VIII (b) Part IX (c) Part X (d) None of these
70. Which one of the following is not generally found in a village Panchayet?
(a) Acute shortage of financial resources
(b) Tight control by the State Government
(c) Infiltration of Party politics
(d) Cordial relations between Panchayet Officials and people.
71. How many tiers in Panchayet System was proposed by Ashok Mehta Committee which submitted its report in 1978 on the ways to improve functions of Panchayet system?
(a) Two (b) Three (c) Four (d) None of these
72. Block Development Officer (BDO), who works as the Chief person to regulate the activities of Panchayet Samity is generally:
(a) Elected by voters (b) Deputed by State Government
(c) Deputed by Planning Commission (d) None of these
73. Which one of the following types of cases can be decided by Panchayet of rural areas?
(a) Civil (b) Criminal (c) Income Tax (d) None of these
74. In which year Indian Satellite 'Aryabhatta' was launched?
(a) 1972 (b) 1973 (c)1974 (d) 1975
75. In which year India tested the first Nuclear Bomb?
(a) 1972 (b) 1974 (c) 1976 (d) None of these
76. In which year Sikkim joined as a State of Indian Union?
(a) 1974 (b) 1975 (c) 1976 (d) None of these
77. In which year Sqn. Ldr. Rakesh Sharma travelled in Space?
(a) 1982 (b) 1983 (c) 1984 (d) 1985
78. In which year first Indian woman scaled Mount Everest?
(a) 1983 (b) 1984 (c) 1985 (d) None of these
79. Which State was associated with 'Operation Blue Star'?
(a) Uttar Pradesh (b) Punjab (c) Gujrat (d) None of these
80. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Mrs Indira Gandhi was assassinated in Delhi in 1984
(b) Union Carbide Gas tragedy of Bhopal occurred in 1985
(c) Mother Teresa got Nobel Prize for peace in 1979
(d) Air India Plane with 329 persons crashed on Atlantic in 1985
81. In which year Mr Rajiv Gandhi (PM) visited China?
(a) 1986 (b) 1988 (c) 1990 (d) None of these
82. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated in Sri Perumbudur in 1991
(b) Disputed structure of Ayodhya demolished in 1992
(c) Association of South Asian Countries formed in 1988
(d) Eighth Five Year Plan of India was launched in 1992
83. Which State was associated with 'Operation Rhino'?
(a) Punjab (b) Tripura (c) Assam (d) None
84. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) The highest rank of Indian Air Force is Air Chief Marshal
(b) The Head Quarter of Indian Navy is located in New Delhi
(c) Agni, Prithvi, Trishul, Akash, Nag all are names of Missiles.
(d) Agni Missile has got the longest range being more than 2000 km.
85. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Arjun: Main Battle Tank (b) Lakshya: Pilotless Jet Plane
(c) Pinaka: Multi-barrel mobile rocket launcher for war
(d) Trishul: A short-range surface-to-surface missile
86. Which one of the following Satellites were launched from Indian Satellite Station of Sriharikota successfully?
(a) IRS (b) INSAT (c) Bhaskara (d) None of these
87. The organisation 'ISRO' is associated with the issues of:
(a) Defence (b) Space (c) Economy (d) Agriculture
88. Which one of the following refers to India made Satellites:
(a) INSAT (b) PSLV (c) GSLV (d) DRDO
89. In which State Sriharikota Rocket Launching Station is located?
(a) Tamil Nadu (b) Andhra Pradesh (c) Orissa (d) None
90. Around what percent of Indian people were literate on the basis of 1991 Census report:
(a) 30% (b) 40% (c) 50% (d) 60%
91. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Operation Flood : Flood Control
(b) Blue Revolution : fish production/catch development
(c) Operation Black Board : development of mass literacy
(d) Green Revolution : development in agricultural production
92. How many Universities are there in India (approximately):
(a) 150 (b) 200 (c) 250 (d) 400
93. How many Post Offices are there in India?
(a) 50 thousand (b) 1 lakh (c) 1.5 lakh (d) 2 lakh
94. In which language the highest number of the daily newspaper is published in India?
(a) English (b) Hindi (c) Kannada (d) Malayalam
95. The smallest administrative unit of India in the area is:
(a) Goa (b) Andamans (c) Lakshadweep (d) Pondicherry
96. Which one of the following is not the name of a News Agency?
(a) PTI (b) UNI (c) UTI (d) None of these
97. In which year first feature film of India was released (silent film)?
(a) 1913 (b) 1919 (c) 1931 (d) None of these
98. In which year Radio Transmission started in India?
(a) 1927 (b) 1936 (c) 1957 (d) None of these
99. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched?
(a) Thakkar Commission: Assassination of Indira Gandhi
(b) Sarkaria Commission: Central State Relations
(c) Vohra Commission: Nexus between criminals & Politicians
(d) Raja Cheliah Commission: Banking Reformation
100. The findings of which one of the following Commission helped to bring the fall of the Government led by Mr I. K. Gujral:
(a) Mandal Commission (b) Jain Commission (c) Verma Commission (d) None of these